The Nursing department is currently not accepting new students to this certificate program.
A post baccalaureate certificate program is available for nurses who possess a Master of Science degree in Nurse Practitioner or are enrolled in a program leading to a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies. The purpose of this program is to enhance the knowledge and skill of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants to provide quality health services to children and adults with developmental disabilities. The program is modeled after the Partners in Health Education for People with Disabilities curriculum from the New York State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council for training of NPs and PAs.
- HSC515 Legal and Ethical Implications for Caregivers of Individuals with Developmental Diisabilities (1)
- HSC530 Caring for Children with Developmental Disabilities (1)
- HSC532 Caring for Adults with Developmental Disabilities (1)
- HSC560 Community Care for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities (3)
TOTAL CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS = 6 CREDITS
Certificate: Admission Requirements
This post-baccalaureate certificate requires:
- Enrollment in, or degree completion from an accredited Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) program.
- Completion of, or current enrollment in an Advanced Health Assessment (NP) or 300 level Physical Assessment course (PA) or the equivalent
- A written statement describing educational objectives and areas of professional and personal interest, particularly in relation to working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Submission of a resume summarizing professional activities and completed continuing educational courses.
- An interview with the PHEPD program coordinators is required; a telephone interview may be arranged if an on-site interview is not possible.
Additional information for graduate Nursing programs: Admissions Requirements; Course Repeats; Time Limitations; Requirements for Graduation – consult the Nursing Department web page or the Program Plans site on the Registrar’s web page.